Monday, April 25, 2016

Beginnings: Appetizers to tantalize your tastebuds

Recipes: Smoked trout spread, Curried fried garbanzos


I have always struggled with appetizers, much preferring to concentrate on the main meal. My friend Jackie, who dines with me nearly every Monday evening, has changed my mind on this subject, little by little. Jackie and her partner have appetizers before dinner regularly. And they're not an afterthought, or a last-minute thing. They are planned, often with one person creating the appetizer and the other the dinner. Their appetizers are fully as creative as the main meal, which I admire.

In the spirit of inspiration, Jackie brought me their recipe for smoked trout spread, which is easily made in a few minutes. This is an adaptation of that recipe, delicious when I made it the other night and served it with crackers. A memorable beginning.

Smoked Trout Spread


  • 2 ounces smoked trout
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream (I used light sour cream)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
  • 1 tablespoon shredded carrot (optional, in my opinion. Good both with and without it.)
Remove and discard any skin from the smoked fish. Finely chop the fish. Place chopped fish, sour cream, and mayo in a small bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in chopped onion and carrot, if using.

Curried Fried Garbanzos


I love garbanzo beans and often use them in salads and in stews. They're very healthy eating too, full of protein and fiber. This is so easy, and everyone seems to love curried garbanzos.



  • 1 14-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • Sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil


Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the drained garbanzo beans, the curry powder, and a dash of salt. Stir to coat. Fry the beans for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Serve on an appetizer plate with a small serving spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment