Friday, June 27, 2014

Marlys granola (or have a good morning!)

Recipe: Granola


My sister-in-law Marlys makes really good granola. She bakes a big recipe of it, twice the size of the recipe below, and then stores it in those plastic cereal containers that I think are so neat. Whenever I go to visit her and my brother Jim, I look forward to eating her granola in the morning with fresh fruit and milk. It's a great way to start the day!

Fortunately she was willing to share her recipe. Don't you love people who share? And then I read an article about granola in Sunset Magazine, and tweaked her recipe a bit so it bakes in about 35 minutes instead of 60-70 minutes. All the better for us! Even though I messed with her original recipe, I'm still calling it Marlys Granola, because she was my inspiration! I'm making some today so I can eat it for breakfast tomorrow. . .

Marlys Granola


  • 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
  • 1 cup raw seeds, like sesame, pumpkin, chia, flaxseed
  • 1 cup raw nuts, like sliced almonds, pecan pieces, walnut pieces, pine nuts
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (or 1 teaspoon cinnamon and no cardamom)
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or canola oil). You could also use half-half coconut oil and olive oil for a coconut flavor.
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup dried fruit, like raisins, dried cranberries, chopped dried cherries, chopped dried apricots, chopped dried apple slices . . I could go on!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine oats, seeds, nuts, salt, and spices.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil, maple syrup (or honey), and vanilla. Add oil mixture to oat mixture and stir to combine well. Spread mixture evenly in lined pan.

Bake granola, stirring every 10 minutes, until light brown and fragrant, 30 to 35 mintues. Let cool in the pan, then stir in the dried fruit. Don't add the dried fruit till it's cool, or the fruit will become hard and stick to your teeth!

Store airtight and no longer than 3 weeks. Like it would last that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment